spyware, things you should know Wednesday, 1 March 2006 5:32 pmPosted by Dongmei in featured IT of the week, free/Open Source Software, Internet Resources.
Been sick for a while, haven’t kept up w/ my blog … lots of things to blog about … attended this great spyware workshop presented by two Student Computing Support tech guys (for more details, see Thurs. @ 3 Library Seminars) a couple of weeks ago, meant to share w/ you all what I learned. (Don’t know what spyware/malware/badware/adware is and what it will do to your computer? Read this from Wikipedia).
1. anti-spyware software and tools
Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Windows Defender (Beta 2)): http://www.microsoft.com
Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE (Personal version is free to download): http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot Search and Destroy (freeware, donate if you can :-)): http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Ewido Anti-Malware (free download): http://www.ewido.com
note: of all these software, I personally like Spybot S&D the best.
2. Comprehensive list of spyware (black list :-)): http://www.spywareguide.com
3. Report to stop badware (sponsored by Google, Sun Microsystems, etc.): http://www.stopbadware.com
4. Faculty (staff) and students of CofC, download and install Symantec Anti Virus: http://antivirus.cofc.edu
5. You may wish to use alternative browsers, such as
Mozilla Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org
Opera Web Browser: http://www.opera.com
6. Tips to protect yourself from spyware
- Read User Agreements Before Clicking Yes to Protect Yourself from Spyware (Spyware that comes bundled with shareware usually appears in Chapter 9: Third Party Software);
- Be Careful of Advertising That Looks Like Windows Warnings to Protect Yourself from Spyware;
- Carefully Read Windows Warnings that Present themselves while Surfing to Protect Yourself from Spyware;
- Install a Program to Detect Spyware and Scan Often to Protect Yourself from Spyware (see above 1);
- Be Leery of Visiting Websites that aren’t Well Known to Protect Yourself from Spyware;
- Update Windows and your Browser to Protect Yourself from Spyware;
- Be Leery of Installing Shareware and Free Programs to Protect Yourself from Spyware.